Cessna 340 Engine Failure at FL190

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Safety Issues & Accidents Cessna 340 Engine Failure at FL190

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I’m stealing this from another site where i saw it posted:

“A few weeks ago, a Cessna 340 experienced a rather abrupt engine failure (of the hole in crankcase, broken connecting rod, unable to feather the propeller type). The aircraft was equipped with one of our portable CVR/FDRs so it’s a rare insight into an actual event of this type.

The event begins 1 hour, 3 minutes, 12 seconds into the flight. You will need the following to see and listen to the flight:

-Mozilla Firefox (MacOS or Windows)
    -Google Earth/Google Earth Plug-In (MacOS or Windows)

Once you have the above installed, click on the link below and move the timeline to around 1 hour 3 minutes into the flight. There are two channels of CVR audio, one is an area mic built into the CVR/FDR on the glareshield picking up the wild engine noises. You can individually adjust the Intercom/Ambient volume levels.

https://www.wi-flight.net/flightview/ff651ece-78a6-41e8-b4ca-d9e24c036230

-Pascal”

Wow, very interesting. The pilot was cool and calm, flew the plane first…….then dealt with the ATC. Handled the situation well and a good outcome too.

rtowe
    Participant

Yeah, this guy was very calm and collective even with the loss of the critical engine…Is he a member? If not, we should buy him a membership for saving the industry and us twin cessna guys from another black eye..What is a CVR/FDR anyway?

quote RTOWE:

What is a CVR/FDR anyway?

Cockpit Voice Recorder / Flight Data Recorder

At least that’s my guess.

Yep it is a recorder.

https://www.wi-flight.net/

After I watched the deal, I got interested in how all this was recorded.

That was excellent. Thank you for sharing.
      I agree with all of the above.
      I too, am intrigued by the recording. Going to check that out.

John Koziarski

Folks this incident was me in my aircraft roughly 6 weeks ago.

Yes a catastrophic failure followed by an immediate engine seizure.

Left engine. No feather.

I luckily was alone at altitude not far from a major airport with all the facilities.

It was night time and VFR.

The outcome was fine and I was happy my entire family which I had on board the day before were in fact flying commercial that day due to time constraints.

I am also the sales manager for Wi-Flight…… the flight data and cockpit voice recording system I had installed on board. I have been off this forum for the past little while dealing with, amongst other things, the replacement of the failed engine. The owner of Wi-Flight posted the link on another forum…..I was not aware.

The engine has now been replaced and the aircraft is operational again. Big learning experience to say the least.

I’d happy to discuss our product with anybody interested. Call me anytime for details.
      1-514-947-1638…..

Might as well make lemonade out of lemons….so they say.

The lemon was loosing the engine….and thankfully not the plane.

Well done Derek.
      Do you still have the place in the Bahamas? I tried to click the hyperlink but the website is down.
      I’m planning a flying vacation this forthcoming winter and could be interested.

Well done Derek.
      Do you still have the place in the Bahamas? I tried to click the hyperlink but the website is down.
      I’m planning a flying vacation this forthcoming winter and could be interested.

Thanks Steve,

Appreciate the kudos.

The Bahamas website is alive and well….not sure why the link failed.

http://www.gk-rentals.com/SanSal.html

Still have the rental property and as a reminder we offer 10%
      discount to all TCF members.

Fly safe

Steve you are in fact right….my site is down. I will rectify and advise.

Thx

Website is operational…..

I had a change of email address recently which messed things up a bit….again thanks for the heads up Steve.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.