Cessna 310R "Cruise Computer"; New Plane

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues Cessna 310R "Cruise Computer"; New Plane

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I just took delivery of a Cessna 310R (more below). In the POH, there are several references to a “Cruise Computer” for doing cruise power settings. I assume this is some sort of slide rule, but I cannot locate it. Does anyone know what the “Cruise Computer” is, what it does, and (if it’s useful) where I can get another one?

Anyway, my new plane is a 1980 Cessna 310R, with full known ice equipment, a decent Garmin panel (340, 530W, 430W, 327 and some older stuff), King FD, Weather Radar and Radar Altimeter, JPI EDM-760, etc. Tony Saxton, Marla and the crew at TAS Aviation in Defiance OH (where some of you probably were this weekend) spent over six weeks working on the plane to get everything “up to spec” and fully functional, including a new RAM engine and synchrophaser. The previous owner (also a TCF member) kept it hangared in Indiana and the plane’s paint looks great and the interior is nice, but it just hadn’t flown much recently. A friend of mine with a thousands of hours of experience helped with the whole process.

I picked it up last Thursday and experienced a vacuum pump failure on the way home. We called Tony after a precautionary landing to check it out, and he had Aircraft Spruce drop ship us a new one. (Talk about fast service!) It was replaced the next day by a local mechanic. (I knew I should have put in new vacuum pumps! LOL)

Cheers,

Doug

Doug – Congratulations on your move into a 310R! You need to post pictures! I’ve had my 310R a year and couldn’t be happier. My wife and family have gotten spoiled by it. I saw the references about a “cruise computer” as well. As far as that goes I used to fly one back when they were new for a Pathology Laboratory. I don’t recall seeing or using one then either. I typically fly between 9,000′ msl – 11,000′ msl. Being normally aspirated, at that altitude I fly WOT and 2300rpm with mixtures set at 100 degrees ROP (call me old fashioned). That equates into 180 kts and 28 gph. My engines are happy and that makes me happy. 😛

Now let’s see some pictures….

Steve Williams
    N37242
    “77 C-310R

Doug, Congratulations on the new bird. We should have a NorthEast twin cessna hamburger run one weekend soon. I’d also love to see some pictures :). Better still, fly up to 1B1 one weekend and I’ll buy you lunch and check out the plane in person. Enjoy.

Scott Ainsbury
    N340MH
    1981 C340A RamVI

I presume the “cruise computer” is similar to the laminated card I have from RAM which gives 75/65/55 pct power settings for RPM/MAP at different altitudes and temperatures. Is the original in the POH? The RAM one only gives ROP fuel flows anyway so if youre going to run LOP you need to come up with your own.

pmcnamee
    Participant

In the ’70 and ’80’s Cessna delivered the aircraft with a wiz-wheel type Power Computer. This was used to figure true % of power and the corresponding fuel flow. You set Pressure Altitude against Static Air Temperature and it showed the different combinations of Manifold Pressure vs. RPM to make the % of power you required. These Power Computers were very useful to get the information needed to go into the AFM performance charts. With the correct power set the performance charts can then determine when to lean the engine for best power (usually around 50-75 degrees ROP) or peak EGT if at the lower power settings.

These Power Computers only work with a stock Cessna engine installation. If you modify the engine (RAM) or installation (Heat Exchangers) then the computer is worthless.

I purchased a new Computer for my 421C a few years ago from Cessna. The part numbers are located in the aircraft Parts Manual.

To bad RAM and the other modifiers don’t spend the time and money to do real performance testing (torque meter) on all their modifications so we really know what is going on with the engines. There is no reason they couldn’t make a power computer for their installation.

Keep those airplanes safely in the air.

Pat

Hello all,

Someone asked for a picture. Here’s one I took the first week I had the plane while I was visiting a friend out at Reading, PA. The 310R looks very imposing on the ramp all by itself just outside the main terminal.

Cheers,

Doug

Good-looking plane!

Doug,
      That is a sweet looking airplane! The 310R has a great ramp presence. You’ll be getting a lot of compliments where ever you fly. 😀

Steve Williams
      N37242
      ’77 C-310R

quote SLWILLIAMS:

The 310R has a great ramp presence. You’ll be getting a lot of compliments where ever you fly.

This seems to be absolutely true. Many people stop by to chat and have a look. I had a whole entourage the other weekend while I was trying to wash the plane with my boys!

It is really a shame that Cessna doesn’t make these piston twins anymore. I saw a 414 up close the other day and these things are just beautiful.

Doug

Very nice 310

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.