Cessna 310 Prop Sync

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Cessna 310 Prop Sync

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dstefko
    Participant

Good Morning All,

I have a 1970 C310 with IO470 engines. Over the last couple of years I have replace both prop control cables and both throttle cables. Since I do not have a prop synconization switch to flip on I am it. Over the years and hours I had the settings down to a science and would need to make small adjustments enroute and it seems any time I adjusted the throttle or mixture.
      I just had a complete Propeller overhaul on both props and at the same time had the governors overhauled. I have flown the airplane now about 7 hours and have been fighting keeping the props synced up. It is taking almost continuous adjustment albeit very small adjustments.
      For sure when I make a power or mixture adjustment I need to reset the props however, even when everything is set and cruising enroute I find I still need to make minor adjustments but not as often.
      I have worked with the control tensioning to no real avail. I have flown this airplane some 1400 hours and do not ever recall having to work the props this hard. Talking with my mechanic, he feels the next move would be to look at the control quadrant to see why the moving one control so affects the other. That may answer one question regarding the need to readjust the pitch control after a throttle adjustment but, not why the props wander during cruise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

dstefko
      Participant

All,

After talking to the shop that rebuilt the governors and having them question oil pressure which is fine, I decided to move the left unit to the right engine. Bingo, the right prop started doing everything the left had been doing.

I sent the governor back to the shop. They said they tested it and found nothing wrong. They agreed to rebuild the unit completely and that did the trick. Have been flying it now for about 25 hours and both props sync up beautifully and stay there.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback Dave!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.