C-310 Ownership Cost article in the TCF

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics C-310 Ownership Cost article in the TCF

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Wow, a new forum with no posts. How often does the opportunity come up to be first?

I read the August Twin Cessna Flyer article, “What does it cost to own a 310?” with great interest. Being new to Twin Cessna ownership it’s great to have this type of data to validate your own estimate. I had estimated $350 – $375 per hour for a 310R based upon random inputs I had gathered during my search. The TCF survey with (200) responses indicates an average of $383 per hour based upon (100) hrs per year utilization. Looking at the breakdown, my insurance and hangar costs are a little less than the average but I expect my annual inspection/maintenace costs to be somewhat higher since I’m basically bringing a well taken care of airplane out of retirement. The prebuy/annual inspection costs including fixing all the squawks was $19K which is roughly 3X the average from the survey. The previous owner was responsible to cover the cost of fixing the squawks and I covered the basic inspection cost.

I’ve flown my 310R (48.3) hours in the (6) weeks I’ve had her. I utilize her for personal family transportation and in support of my consulting business. I expect to fly her about (300) hours per year. The only unanticipated cost so far has been replacement of the R/H vacuum pump. It’s a very common theme among TCF members that you need to go into Twin Cessna ownership with both eyes open. I tried to do that and I couldn’t be happier with my airplane. Articles like C-310 Ownership Cost go a long way to helping potential buyers make an informed decision and keeping Twin Cessna ownership a positive experience. 😀

Best regards,
    Steve Williams
    N37242
    ’77 C-310R

rwelsh
    Participant

Steve, if one of your vacuum pumps dies, then some research may help out later. If the pump had over 500 hours on it or close to it, then your vacuum system probably is okay. The problem arises when the hoses are old and cracked internally thereby letting loose pieces that get in the vanes and crack them for a failure. If you have deice boots, it helps to have no more then .5 PSI on the pressure side of the pump when the boots are not operating which is 99.8 % of the time.. That can be adjusted by the first control valve aft of the pressure side of the pump. Also all elbows should be of the sweep elbow type, no direct 90 degree elbows.

If you have louvers on the top of your nacelle like 340s and 414s, you will see a dark trails coming out of the louver about 10 hours before the pump fails. The black trail is the carbon vanes wearing away. It is most noticeable on the right inboard louver and the left outboard louver as the control valve is right under thiese areas.

RWelsh – Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.