Bearcat conversion – runs hot

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Safety Issues & Accidents Bearcat conversion – runs hot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My normally aspirated 310R has the bearcat conversion (IO550A’s) and runs hot, especially # 3 on the right engine and #6 on the left. I’ve done the basics, baffles, injectors, fuel flow, etc . It’s manageable with two engines, but I get nervous about losing one engine and then severely overheating the other if I have very far to go on one. What’s the general experience out there?

Have you eliminated CHT gauge error? As these things age the resistance changes or if a thermocouple system they too can give incorrect readings.

Sounds like you have covered everything else except internal stuff. Keep us informed.

Good thought. Thank you! I have a GEM 1200 and have consided switching a couple of the probes. I’ll do that as the next step.

quote DGERLACH:

Good thought. Thank you! I have a GEM 1200 and have consided switching a couple of the probes. I’ll do that as the next step.

Another technique is to go up flying as normal, land, shut down the engines but leave the power on to the GEM1200. Hook up a ground power unit, and watch the temps. With the engine off, each reading should be converging to the same “block” temp since there is no new heat source and only the front cylinders have a different outlet for heat. no more than 20 or 30 mins should be needed. Big gaps should be clear in less than 5 minutes.

It would be nice to do this on start up, but not all displays will indicate. Not familiar with the min display temp on the 1200. You could also talk Insight into loaning you a G4 twin when they come out. maybe it will not be long as it looks like chief aircraft is listing them in their catalog.

Eric

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.