Avidyne or Garmin Traffic?

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics Avidyne or Garmin Traffic?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Just a question.. doing my panel update soon and am told that the better traffic unit to go with is the Garmin GTS 820 with Dual GA58 antenna.

The TAS620 from Avidyne looks very nice also and seems cheaper.

I just don’t know which is better and what are the benefits of one over the other?

I had the Avidyne 615 in my Aztec. It displayed on my Avidyne EX600 as well as an Aspen. Loved it. I’m contemplating the Garmin 800 or 820 for my 340. Curious as to the differences as well.

quote :

I just don’t know which is better and what are the benefits of one over the other.

From many discussions on other forums it sounds like they are equivalent. I think this is one piece of equipment that the companies have a dificult time differentiating – it either calls out traffic reliably or it doesn’t.

I have the Avidyne system and it plays well with all of the Garmin equipment. When ATC correctly calls traffic it always correlates; when they don’t call traffic you are sometimes thankful that you have it. I don’t know if Avidyne still offers their box in target distance tiers; if they do I wouldn’t purchase the longest range product. ~10 miles is about all that you need.

Geoff

Here is what Avidyne states, I’m being told to go with the TAS620 but from what your saying the TAS600 may be good and much cheaper.

Avidyne’s TAS600 Series systems include four models, designed for your specific aircraft needs:
    TAS600 Recommended for entry-level, single-engine piston aircraft, the TAS600 features a 7nm range, a 3,500-foot vertical separation maximum and 18,500-foot service ceiling.

TAS605 Recommended for mid-performance aircraft and rotorcraft, the TAS605 features a 13nm range, a 5,500-foot vertical separation maximum and a 55,000-foot service ceiling. It accepts Arinc 429 Heading, permitting rapid repositioning of targets during high-rate turns.

TAS615 Recommended for high-performance aircraft and rotorcraft, the TAS615 features a 17nm range, a 10,000-foot vertical separation maximum and a 55,000-foot service ceiling. It accepts Arinc 429 Heading, permitting rapid repositioning of targets during high-rate turns.

TAS620 Is our very best active traffic system, the TAS620 features a 21nm range, a 10,000-foot vertical separation maximum and a 55,000-foot service ceiling. It accepts Arinc 429 Heading, permitting rapid repositioning of targets during high-rate turns.

The TAS600, TAS605, TAS615, and TAS620 are designed to meet the specific needs of each class of aircraft, providing a full 30-second decision time at a closure rate of up to 1200 knots. TAS600 Series traffic systems interrogate transponders from nearby aircraft within their respective coverage volume (shown below), and provides a warning to the flight crew when the calculated time to closest approach (CPA) of any intruder and the protected area around the aircraft reaches the 30-second threshold.

I found this comparison between traffic systems. To me it would seem going with the TAS605 would be plenty good and way better options than the GTA800 or 820

Trek,
    Would you care to weigh in? Avidyne vs Garmin Traffic…. thoughts, comments, and additional comparisons are appreciated. Will the Avidyne TAS units display on the G500/G600?

quote khouseholder1:

Here is what Avidyne states, I’m being told to go with the TAS620 but from what your saying the TAS600 may be good and much cheaper.

The TAS600 has a published operating limit of 18,500′ – likely a marketing restriction. The TAS605 removes that restriction. I have a TAS620 /9900BX but would be just as comfortable with a TAS605. From a practical standpoint I don’t really need more than ~3,000′ vertically and ~5 – 10 miles horizontally anyway.

Jim,

The Avidyne products display properly on the G500 / G600. I have a G500 and a GMX200 and they both display TAS6xx traffic, as did the MX20 before the GMX200.

Geoff

Geoff

Great feedback for sure.. thanks for sharing.. so it really sounds like a TAS605 would be simpler to install, lighter and do everything I need for cheaper.

Thanks Geoff,
    Was having problems with Avidyne’s site and finally found the support for the G600. After owning the TAS615, I would agree that I would be just as happy with a TAS605.

Now that I know the Avidyne will display on my G600 and 530 and 430 and Sandel, the lighter weight, easier install and former experience will probably push me towards another Avidyne. Also, Avidyne will deal on price, especially towards the end of the month or quarter.

Is there any concern having something like a 7nm range vs 13nm range when you are converging on a fast airplane?

Well, with 7 nm if you’re converging head on with another Twin Cessna, that gives you less than a minute of reaction time. Of course there are lots of other planes out there.

I think in an airplane that regularly made it to the flight levels, I’d want the 605 with the higher service ceiling. In the 310 where I never go that high, I’d probably be fine with the 600.

quote JBurnsIII1:

Trek,
    Would you care to weigh in? Avidyne vs Garmin Traffic…. thoughts, comments, and additional comparisons are appreciated. Will the Avidyne TAS units display on the G500/G600?

Hello Jim,
    My apologies for the delay, I’ve been out of the office the last couple of weeks. really I can’t comment on the Avidyne traffic systems as I’ve done no testing with them, I’ve only flown behind our systems. However the G500/600 is approved for the interface with the Avidyne TAS 600 (the same as the 9900BX), 610, and 620 systems. I’m not sure about the others that have been identified in this thread however if they’re the same style of interface which is normally an ARINC 429 interface they could be installed and completed under a field approval.

Best Regards,

Geoff,
    When displaying the Avidyne TAS on your G500, does the G500 have a Mode switch or function to bring the TAS out of Ground mode? My Avidyne EX600 displayed a soft button that allowed me to cycle through the various TAS modes, Ground, Approach, Enroute and reading the install manual, the TAS units require at least one display unit that allows bringing the TAS out of Ground mode.

Thanks,

Install cost of the Avidyne is likely going to be lower, as quite a bit less involved. I have 2x 620 and 1x 610 in my aircraft. (Actually, I bought 2x 605, but they shipped me a 620 out of courtesy as 605 out of stock!!!!

quote JBurnsIII1:

When displaying the Avidyne TAS on your G500, does the G500 have a Mode switch or function to bring the TAS out of Ground mode? My Avidyne EX600 displayed a soft button that allowed me to cycle through the various TAS modes, Ground, Approach, Enroute and reading the install manual, the TAS units require at least one display unit that allows bringing the TAS out of Ground mode.

Jim,

Sorry for the late reply. My Avidyne TAS system is setup for automatic switching from ground to enroute. There are a number of ways to accomplish that if I recall correctly – squat / weight-on-wheels switch is one and, if I recall correctly, the unit will switch to enroute based on altitude encoder input. Mine switches automatically so I don’t really pay attention to the mode. The G500/600 does have a control interface / selection to the Avidyne but I will have to go look at it to remember what they offer.

Geoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.