Aviation Weather

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section IFR and Weather Flying Aviation Weather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Folks,

Those of you on Beechtalk know of Scott Dennstaedt. I think we should allow him to have free forum access so he can participate in our IFR/Weather forum. Scott actively posts and comments in the IFR section of Beechtalk.

Albert Garage Door Repair

Also, Trek Lawler from Garmin would participate if he was allowed free access to the forum. He told me Garmin doesn’t pay for online forum access.
    Having industry experts actively participate in our owner group forums will benefit both parties greatly.

If there are any other Beechtalkers that would like to back up my request, please chime in!

I have learned a lot from Trek’s posts on BT on planning and figuring out my new Garmin gear. How I found BT was by searching for Garmin information as the official web site is not much help.

New to BT, I man not familiar with Scott.

It would be a nice addition, but I don’t know how these decisions are made. BT was nice enough to allow me to join the forum even though I have a Cessna. I need to remember that I am in a minority there being a Twin Cessna owner.

Jim

I’d agree that having industry experts would be useful. Most of us have Garmin gear of some sort, and we all deal with weather.

Someone from Aspen would also be useful, as many of us have Aspen gear.

bthomason
    Participant
      quote MMatheson1:

Scott Dennstaedt. I think we should allow him to have free forum access…Trek Lawler from Garmin would participate

I’m more than happy to invite these guys to participate. Somebody send me some email addresses and I’ll contact them and get it set up.

sworley
      Participant

Great idea. Scott and Trek are both great contributers to Beechtalk.

Agreed Trek and Scott are first class. I love BT for the wx/IFR and Scott’s posts

Andrew

Great this will be of much good information!! good job Bob

quote MMatheson1:

Those of you on Beechtalk know of Scott Dennstaedt. I think we should allow him to have free forum access so he can participate in our IFR/Weather forum. Scott actively posts and comments in the IFR section of Beechtalk.

Albert Garage Door Repair

Also, Trek Lawler from Garmin would participate if he was allowed free access to the forum. He told me Garmin doesn’t pay for online forum access.

My two cents:

If the person is not a member of TCF, then he should categorically not have access to the TCF forums for any reason. If he wants access to TCF forums, join TCF. End of story.

Furthermore, I find the Beechtalk forum operator’s policies to be borderline abusive. I don’t frequent there (despite the often frequent good content) due to their policies.

If this policy changes (TCF subscribers only) then, alas, I will have to strongly consider cancelling my TCF membership.

Cheers,

Doug

I’ll agree with you, Doug. Membership means access. Seems, in this case, complimentary membership might work.

I don’t frequent Beechtalk, but was a CPA member. No longer due largely to their forum …”atmosphere”. I will not rejoin even though I’ve got a Cessna single in pre-buy now.

I appreciate this forum and congratulate Bob on his administration. Thanks!

Everyone loves their specific “airplane forums” for obvious reasons. Beechtalk is no different. They have 27000 members and it is extremely active and informative. They love their planes, but many other lurkers and owners of other airplane manufacturers are there getting invaluable information. If you can prevent one single accident by allowing industry experts to participate on specific airplane owners forums, then that is a no-brainer. I don’t understand why you would cancel your membership if a weather expert or a Garmin engineer is allowed on our forum to comment and educate our membership–FOR FREE!!
        We’re all pilots in the end, taking on Mother Nature in extremely complex man made machines. Who cares if you own a Beechcraft or a Cessna. Who cares what their moderators policy is. Knowledge is King….period.
        Trek Lawler from Garmin has agreed to be accessible through our forum. We have had many avionics questions that only a Garmin representative can answer. I have relayed some questions through Beechtalk and it appears our members liked the info. Why not have him right here, answering directly to all of our questions?
        Unfortunately Garmin doesn’t pay for him to join every owner group. Maybe they should, but for now they don’t.
        Just my two cents

Well, we have plenty of instructors on here who are paid members. Should all instructors get free membership? It is somewhat unfair to the others who participate heavily in providing advice to others but pay for their membership, and also to the paid advertisers since Scott does heavily push his courses in his posts (understandably, it’s how he makes his living). So there are definitely two sides to it, and I see Doug’s point.

Part of why I think this forum is so great is that we aren’t Beechtalk, Pilots of America, Purple Board, or the others where just anyone can show up and participate. Just because those forums are successful doesn’t mean that we want to be them. So I think it’s important that we’re careful.

Thanks for your support Rich.

This is the last I’ll say about this, and as I said, it’s my 2 cents, and I’m one of thousands of members and I am not the boss (that’s Bob and clearly he’s done a fine job) and am not asking for any accommodation.

I’ll just say I participate fairly freely here solely because it is a (relatively) closed, relatively secure-feeling place to converse with other people who I’m guaranteed to have something in common with (and who put their money (membership fee) where there interests are to prove it). I don’t give up my name easily on the Internet as I’m careful about my privacy. (I hate that my plane flights can be tracked, for example, but have come to grips with it.) If this forum becomes less private, I will simply not participate (unless psudonymity or anonymity were also provided). It’s just who I am/what I feel. It’s okay to be different than me. 🙂

Note that I am not making any judgement about any of the mentioned people’s knowledge, capability, competence, trustworthiness, or potential value-add to this forum.

Sorry to veer so far off course of the main topic. (way more than) ’nuff said.

bthomason
        Participant

If there is anyone else who strongly objects to allowing Forum access to the Scott and Trek, please let me know – either here or by email or PM.

As for our current policy, with a few exceptions, only paid members and advertisers have access. I gave a Cessna Customer Support rep access so he could monitor the Forum for service issue trends. That’s the only exception I can recall right now. There may be a few more like that.

I share everyone’s concern about the quality of the Forum. I’m a member of many others and some of them have been ruined by bad actors. In most cases, those bad actors are paying members/aircraft owners and not outsiders. I have vowed that will never happen to this Forum. While I am more than ready to police the Forum, you all have done a good job of doing it yourselves. Your posts are civil and when someone crosses the line, someone gently reminds them to get back in line. Everyone keeps their cool and it is contagious. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for that.

I’ll wait for final feedback on adding Scott and Trek, but if we do give them access and for some reason it doesn’t work, we can always reverse the decision. My own opinion as a Twin Cessna owner is that the knowledge they will bring will more than offset any conceivable downside.

I agree with Bob. To have industry experts participate in this forum would be a huge attraction. I’ve had the opportunity to run across several active industry experts in other forums and have never found any downside to their contributions. Mark Scheuer of PS Engineering often made frequent posts and requests for design ideas in news groups and forums. Allan Schrader, president of Lightspeed, often took both ideas and complaints directly through forums he visited and resolutions were posted that kept his customers happy. The people that we want answers from and who’s advice we desire are active participants “somewhere” and why not here?

Most of us have something to contribute, some of us have something valuable to contribute, but contributions by industry experts like those mentioned are truly invaluable.

quote JBurnsIII1:

I agree with Bob. To have industry experts participate in this forum would be a huge attraction. I’ve had the opportunity to run across several active industry experts in other forums and have never found any downside to their contributions. ………………………..Most of us have something to contribute, some of us have something valuable to contribute, but contributions by industry experts like those mentioned are truly invaluable.

From my previous humble experience on other forums: That will depend on how the “industry experts” conduct themselves on this forum. I agree with Bob, too. Access can always be reversed.

‘Nough said 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.