Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics Auricle 2120

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    sworley
    Participant

At Oshkosh yesterday someone at the Ultra electronics booth told me the Auracle was designed to fit where my existing engines gauges are and replace them. I have never heard this before and always figured replacing my edm-760 wasn’t worth a whole panel redo. I can’t find a picture anywhere of an auracle sitting where my existing engine gauges are. Can anyone confirm if the Auracle can just slide in to where exisiting engine gauges are?

rtowe
      Participant
        quote SWORLEY:

At Oshkosh yesterday someone at the Ultra electronics booth told me the Auracle was designed to fit where my existing engines gauges are and replace them. I have never heard this before and always figured replacing my edm-760 wasn’t worth a whole panel redo. I can’t find a picture anywhere of an auracle sitting where my existing engine gauges are. Can anyone confirm if the Auracle can just slide in to where exisiting engine gauges are?

Our leader Bob Thomason has this installed in hiw T303 Crusader and is often advertised in the TCF magazine…Although, there have been problems with these. By the way, I have the EDM-760 and it is NOT capable or certified of replacing all instruments and especially, fuel flow…The one that JPI makes that is certified replacement and a competitor of Auracle is the EDM-960 which is about $15K plus installation. If I had the money, I would go for the EDM-960…

bthomason
        Participant
          quote SWORLEY:

You’ll need to rework your panel. In my airplane, the AuRacle replaced 13 different engine and fuel gauges. There’s no way you can do that without cutting a new panel. I like my AuRacle but I have had numerous probe and sensor issues, all fixed under warranty.

I started out this route…..but I am way off the planation now with my project.

One of the configurations Auricle builds will fit and will replace the primary instruments. However, on my existing panel, my avionics were placed too high and there was not enough room. But I have a 340 with a smaller panel space. The control panel is remote mounted. I was thinking it would be an easy replacement, and it would work had the stack of existing stuff been set 1/2″ lower.

I have a printed actual size unit that will fit the space along the top row where the MP/Tac and whatever else you have. I bet they have those at the booth. You will be able to determine if you have room.

sworley
          Participant

Thanks for the responses. I’ll have to do some investigation. My best guess is it won’t drop in, and I’m not ready to redo the panel. Maybe when someone finally comes out with a big PFD. Attached is a pic of my panel.

Attachments:

quote BThomason:

I like my AuRacle but I have had numerous probe and sensor issues, all fixed under warranty.

I’ve heard similar from other friends of mine.

Insight avionics has their G4 twin display now shipping and it will fit in the TIT position on a twin cessna perfectly. I took a look at it at Oshkosh and really liked what I saw. About $6700 + install. You would still have the wiring, but would not need to resort the whole panel. It is also possible if you are retrofitting from a JPI-760 that you might be able to reuse the sensors (or the wire runs).

It will also work with your existing fuel flow sensor and it includes a multi-axis vibration sensor for trend monitoring. In the future, they hope to offer prop vibration info – but at this point they have no way of resolving the phase info of the tips (would need another sensor)

Download from this is easy via panel mount SD card. I have sent a note to Santa and perhaps it will be under the tree in December 🙂

http://www.insightavionics.com/g4twin.htm

I have also been looking into the G4 and really like the features it offers. They did tell me that they “strongly recommend” changing over to their probs instead of using existing. (I have a 760 also) The ability to run diagnostics on the probes by sensing their resistance is really amazing. My ONLY complaint with their feature set right now is that you can’t get the cooling rate info. I use this religiously on my 760 to ensure I don’t shock cool anything. I called them and talked to their software guy and put in an official request for it. Unfortunately this is a show stopper for me and until they add this feature.

Anyone with past experience with Insight brand?

I have a JPI 760 and sometimes get crazy readings. It keep me nervous all flight long thinking about a probe failure or a real engine alert.

My experience with Insight wasn’t very good. We had an Insight unit in the Aztec. Had numerous EGT failures and the unit itself needed to be replaced when we first got it.

When it came time for the 310, we put in a JPI. It’s been trouble-free for the three years we’ve had it.

I’d like one of the newer units in a few years once the bugs get worked out. If nothing else, I’d like it to alert me about things like low oil pressure.

I had an Insight unit in our Aztec F when I bought it. It “kind of” worked. First thing I did was buy the JPI head and adapters. No problems since.

I just wish the JPI didn’t require major panel surgery and wasn’t so pricey…

quote ceyhorn:

I just wish the JPI didn’t require major panel surgery and wasn’t so pricey…

I guess you’re talking about the newer units? My 760 just fits into a normal hole in the panel, but it doesn’t have the functionality of the new units.

Yeah I’m talking about the JPI 960 engine monitor that is comparable to the Auricle unit.

I was looking at the JPI for my upcoming glass panel “makeover” and it was about $30K with installation (yes, major surgery for sure). Furthermore, my shop recommended the JPI over the Auricle unit when I was comparing the two. So, for now I’m adding fuel flow to my JPI 760 and moving forward. Would like to do what you’re thinking about as well, but it would need to be sometime after I catch my breath from my avionics upgrade. Good luck.

Troy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.