Aspen 2500 Evolution Navigation Suite

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics Aspen 2500 Evolution Navigation Suite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author

After seeing all the new Garmin panels in this section, I just had to throw in our new Aspen panel pictures.

One of the primary reasons we chose the 3 panel 2500 series was to lose the analog gauges (airspeed, altitude, V/S and HSI). Since panel real estate is so valuable we went a little crazy, but it is really fun to fly.

Butch

Attachments:

Well done, Butch! I had the Aspen 1000 PFD before moving on to the G500 and absolutely loved it! It’s a great product and company! Enjoy! Troy

That is one nice front end Butch! Well done.

Jim

A beautiful and very clean panel. Makes me all the more interested in adding another Aspen to the 310.

My Evolution 2000C3 is due to be installed in 7 days. Looking forward to seeing how this improves IFR situational awareness.

Will post finished pics and thoughts once done.

G’day from Australia !

I think you’ll really like the second Aspen panel.

Not only will you have back up capability, but the flexibility of the MFD is awesome. IFR/VFR Moving map display, WX, geo-referencing the list goes on and on.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Butch

I have opted for synthetic vision on the MFD but not traffic or weather (no XM in Oz). I have traffic on a GMX200 that also displays my radar and traffic (and additional maps).

My thinking was/is that I don’t need more traffic on another screen just yet. I want to wait until Aspen allow radar on the MFD before retiring the GMX.

I also opted for an “ASP4” converter from Avionik Straubing. This allowed my to have altitude preselect from the Aspen PFD into the S-Tec 55x instead of using the S-Tec remote preselect.

I believe this is the first install of Apsen preselect with an S-tec 55x in Oz.. fingers crossed!

quote TWhite2:

I also opted for an “ASP4” converter from Avionik Straubing. This allowed my to have altitude preselect from the Aspen PFD into the S-Tec 55x instead of using the S-Tec remote preselect.

I believe this is the first install of Apsen preselect with an S-tec 55x in Oz.. fingers crossed!

Can’t wait to hear how you like the ASP4. I still have my 400AP and it works very well but I’d like to add the Aspen and the ASP4 as I’m told they do a very good job.

Here are some pictures from today (plus some of the updated cabin). The Aspen install went very well and I do like the synthetic vision for awareness at night/cloud. Loving the minimums indication on the Alt tape and the integration with the radar Alt for DH alerts. I find most V speed indicators are a little too obscure for my liking however blue and redline indicators are fine.

Very responsive refresh rate on the PFD display, the MFD (which is drawing more graphics) does lag the PFD a little but not an operational issue.

A report on the ASP4 will have to wait until my 55x is repaired due to an installer mistake with reversing power pins.. Due back early January. At least we are flying now!

Looks beautiful! Do you have any pictures of your in-flight views?

jgrimes
    Participant

I have an Aspen 2000 in our ’57 310 and it works great. It would be nice if the Aspen backup display could be added as the third screen, so that I could ditch the vacuum AI and the vacuum pumps.

Isn’t there another company that has an approved electronic backup AI so that you could ditch the pumps? I forget the name of the company.

I have removed all vac gauges from the panel. The standby AH is a RCA 2600-3 digital.

Need to keep the pumps however for pressurisation valve operation.

jgrimes
      Participant

I considered that backup AI.

An Aspen panel has so much more capability that it just seemed like a step backwards to use anything less.

I guess we’ll stay with the vacuum pumps until either Aspen gets the prescribed authorization or it gets to be time to overhaul the pumps.

The requirement for an Aspen backup makes sense. Even with how great an Aspen or G-500 is, it still has the potential to take out an entire 6-pack in one. In 2,000+ hours of flying, I’ve had a few instrument failures (not many) but it only took a couple hundred hours with the Aspen for it to emit smoke and stop working in the blink of an eye.

With dual Aspens you can eliminate all the backups except AI, and that seems reasonable. Even Part 25 aircraft have a standby AI as a backup.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.