AP engaging and disangaging

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues AP engaging and disangaging

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

We have a Cessna 340A and the AP is acting up
    When we press the AP ON switch UP to engage the AP it engages but if we let go the sw
    then it disengages

We think that is the SW but we are not sure.

We now place a tape to hold the SW up and the AP works fine

Attachments:

Call Barry at Autopilots Central. He will help you. He may ask you to send the control head.

I’m not sure how that button works, but if it’s like the Century III there’s a magnet in there that holds the button. I suppose it must be an electro-magnet, since turning off power causes the switches to turn off. I’ve found with those buttons they can get dirt in them over time and not hold as well. A simple cleaning takes care of it, but you have to take the unit apart to do so.

My experience is only with Century IIIs, though, so I just say it because it may or may not apply to you.

quote TDUPUIS:

I’m not sure how that button works, but if it’s like the Century III there’s a magnet in there that holds the button. I suppose it must be an electro-magnet, since turning off power causes the switches to turn off. I’ve found with those buttons they can get dirt in them over time and not hold as well. A simple cleaning takes care of it, but you have to take the unit apart to do so.

My experience is only with Century IIIs, though, so I just say it because it may or may not apply to you.

I believe Ted is correct on how the switch operates. It is also possible that there is a real fault that the AP is trying to disconnect from. By taping it in place you are defeating it. I would also suggest sending to AP central (at least discuss with them)

We’ve fixed that problem with my 400-series autopilot by cleaning the control panel contacts with a spray can of contact cleaner.

While we are on the topic of Auto Pilots, my 400B ALT Hold continiousley porpoises when enganged. The range is about 250 feet above and 250 feet below the selected altitude. I see the small trim wheel trimming away up and down. I would appreciate some insight into this if anyone has had the same experience? Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.