Alaska and Canadian charts

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics Alaska and Canadian charts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rwelsh
    Participant

I have finished my trip to Prudhoe Bay and the Arctic Ocean so someone can have all the new charts I bought for the trip. They are all fresh charts, both Canadian and Alaska. As I went up the coast, I do not have the two inland charts for going up the AlCan Highway.

quote RWELSH:

I have finished my trip to Prudhoe Bay and the Arctic Ocean so someone can have all the new charts I bought for the trip. They are all fresh charts, both Canadian and Alaska. As I went up the coast, I do not have the two inland charts for going up the AlCan Highway.

No immediate need, but would be interested in hearing about your trip. Sounds fun!

rwelsh
      Participant

Eric, we left Seattle in clear weather and flew up the coast of Canada around 4500 feet. I wanted to see my old float plane flying haunts. We wandered around and it took 3 hours to Ketchikan. We were surprised that we could not get any Alaska airports to show up on the 530. Turns out that we only had the lower 48 states database. Anchorage and Fairbanks avionics shops were the only ones to have the Garmin reader to load the Americas database. We spent the night with old friends.

Left the next morning and wandered up the inland waterways to Gustavus for fuel. From there we wandered up to Fairbanks on the east side of the Canadian Coastal range with mountains over 20,000 feet. We had to head further east as the clouds obscured the higher terrain and I did not want to mix it up with the granite cumulus. Finally got to Northway and filed a clearance to Fairbanks. Alfa and Bravo route are the norm up there. We were in the clear at 8000 feet and flew by at least 25 glaciers.

Stayed at Pikes Landing Resort right on the Fairbanks Int’l airport. Great spot with great food. Next morning we loaded three old friends from when I flew out of Fairbanks in the mid 60s. They had never been in the Brooks Range or further north. We wandered around the Brooks Range following rivers and lakes and a few passes as the weather was broken to overcast at 8000 feet. We more or less followed the pipeline haul road. Finally got out into the flat country on the North Slope and I mean flat. Nothing but lakes and green tundra. Followed the haul road to Prudhoe Bay and flew out over the Arctic Ocean for about 10 miles and came back in and landed. The ice had receded over 10 miles out. Finding a place to park turned out to be a chore as all the ramp space is leased by airlines and oil companies. The Flight Service Station, yes they are still around, said to park on a gravel pad at taxiway F. The fuel truck came over and filled us up at $8.80 a gallon. We had lunch at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel which is 16 trailers hooked together to form a hotel and mess hall. All you can eat for $25.00

After 2 hours I filed a clearance to Fairbanks at FL230 as the weather had moved in lower through the Brooks Range. 1.5 hours later we were back in Fairbanks for another night at Pikes Landing. Our passengers took us out to their homestead for a steak cookout and a visit to their gold diggings. Seeing gold in the riffles is quite exciting.

Next morning we took off at FL230 for Ketchikan seeing Mount McKinley (Denali) and all the coastal mountains sticking out about 9000 feet. 2+52 later with a tail wind we landed in Ketchikan for fuel. 2+25 later we were in Seattle with a nice tailwind at FL230.

Today I changed oil and filed out the dings in the props we got in Ketchikan and Prudhoe Bay. About 17 hours total flying time and about 4,000 miles.

The reason I flew to Prudhoe Bay was because when I flew for Western Airlines, we only went there in the winter when it is 24 hour night so I never saw the place. I wouldn’t recommend the average pilot to go that far north as there is not much there to see. It was a great trip, but I forgot the camera.

sounds like a great trip! Thanks for sharing. Good tip on the lower 48 vs America’s database. See any other private Cessna twins? i had some friends recently complete a trip to alaska in two RV-10’s (Homebuilt). Have not heard the details yet. I know they did not go that far North.

jyoung
        Participant

We just finished a week in SE Alaska with our 421. It sure made it nice flying direct KBFI – PAKT in a twin and not worrying about terrain or other airports along the way. We had very good handling at Aero Services in Ketchikan. Parked on the lower ramp which has plenty of space. Ramp guys were nice enough to bring it up to the front door the day we left. Aero Services in JNU was also friendly, but they do not have much ramp space, and gas is much more than it was in Ketchikan.

Spent a day in Wrangle, and then flew to JNU. that was the only VFR day we had, and just barely at that. I wanted to get up close to some glaciers, but figured I was probably the only twin engine with winglets in the area and would be pretty easy to identify if I buzzed anything, so that kept me honest. The weather was simply horrible most of the trip., with several approaches to near minimums. We tried VFR from Wrangel back to Ketchikan, and ended up having to get a pop up IFR. Scud running is so much easier in a float plane at 100 knots than it is in a 421, especially if you dont really know the area. We were suppose to go to Skagway on Friday (it was the 13th), but the weather never got above 500 and 3 in rain, so we just gave up and went home. Had to dodge big thunderstorms around Victoria on the way home, which is very rare in the PNW.

I guess we got lucky on the database on the 430W as I didnt even check first. But it was all there. I was disappointed that the XM weather on the 696 didnt work up North

Overall a great trip that I look forward to making an annual event.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.