Aileron Trim Tab Flutter

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues Aileron Trim Tab Flutter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hello All…..I’m new to the Twin Cessna family. Although I got my initial multi rating in a 310Q back in 1978, I just bought my first airplane in May and “Somehow” I ended up with a 310Q…..Imagine that πŸ™‚
    Went to Oshkosh for the first time this year…Oh My….sooooo many airplanes !! Only found about 10
    310’s though. I will be going back next year..God willing and the creek don’t rise !!
    Now for a real question….I have noticed while inflight the aileron trim tab will flutter and cause the ailerons to vibrate ever so slightly. I’m pretty sure this isn’t common and was wondering if VG’s would help or maybe even eliminate this completely. Or is this possibly a sign of something else going on that needs attention.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jack

Go Fast, Pull Back, Go Up

quote JHarlow1:

Hello All…..I’m new to the Twin Cessna family. Although I got my initial multi rating in a 310Q back in 1978, I just bought my first airplane in May and “Somehow” I ended up with a 310Q…..Imagine that πŸ™‚
    Went to Oshkosh for the first time this year…Oh My….sooooo many airplanes !! Only found about 10
    310’s though. I will be going back next year..God willing and the creek don’t rise !!
    Now for a real question….I have noticed while inflight the aileron trim tab will flutter and cause the ailerons to vibrate ever so slightly. I’m pretty sure this isn’t common and was wondering if VG’s would help or maybe even eliminate this completely. Or is this possibly a sign of something else going on that needs attention.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jack

Go Fast, Pull Back, Go Up

Hi Jack, this sort of vibration is not normal. I would check for a worn hinge (too much play) or a worn actuator/ trim tab control play. You can check this by gently holding the trim tab in place and trying to adjust it in the cockpit (two people). If there is any appreciable play, it needs to be fixed. I would work back from the tab until you find the issue. My guess would be a worn pin in the clevis joint that attaches to the tab (assuming yours is designed this way). I would also suggest checking the rudder trim tab if you have one as well. Hinge or pin it should not be very expensive. You might convince your mechanic to replace the hinge pin only as this would not distrupt the paint like replacing the whole hinge.

I was at Oshkosh for two days. It is amazing with all those planes how few are twins. I did make it to the tail end of Robert Johnson’s Fajita night in the north 40. I am hoping to fly out next year, perhaps we can get a crowd. πŸ™‚

Eric

Sounds like something to look into. 310s should be very smooth in flight.

VGs will help low speed handling and OEI performance but cost you a couple of knots in cruise. So, pick one. We have them on the 310N and they do help. Since we’re based at a 2800 ft runway and often have to fly in and out of short strips, we consider them necessary. Otherwise, I’d probably ditch them and get the couple of extra knots.

I wouldn’t mess with that. Get it checked out right away!

Thanks Guys….. Now that the temps here in Texas have dropped below the 100 degree mark I’m going out to the airport tomorrow to clean up the “Old Bird” from the Oshkosh trip. While there I’ll try a couple of the checks…..and then take it in for a check-up. I’m a firm believer in “If it’s broke, Fix It!”.
    I replaced the cabin door hinges right after I bought it just because the door no longer would shut well without lifting the door to get it to shut properly. Now it works perfect.

Jack

As always……Go Fast, Pull Back, Go Up

Jack,

Let us know what they find. Could be other pilot’s out there not so observant! My trim tab was not vibrating, but it was offset more than I wanted in level flight (you could see the trim tab was countering a not level with the wing aileron. Anyway, we went ahead and took up the center floor to adjust it. As it turns out the ailerons were just a bit off from where they should have been.

I expected at least 5 kts faster – and saw something like 0 to 1 kts. πŸ™‚

quote EPANNING:

I have had friends see 5 kts faster from out of rig control surfaces, though. I also saw 5 mph speed improvement when I redid the cooling baffles in my Aztec some years ago.

quote TDUPUIS:

quote EPANNING:

I have had friends see 5 kts faster from out of rig control surfaces, though. I also saw 5 mph speed improvement when I redid the cooling baffles in my Aztec some years ago.

Yes, I think it was something like 2 turns of the turnbuckle. Not out of rig enough!

That’s impressive on the baffles. Do you think it was a result of slowing down less air or ? I wish there was a better way of measuring losses or efficiency. As you know, you can have well cooled cylinders, and a tremendous amount of waste air slowed down (slowing the plane down)

Have you done any baffle work with the 310?

Eric

quote EPANNING:

Yes, I think it was something like 2 turns of the turnbuckle. Not out of rig enough!

That’s impressive on the baffles. Do you think it was a result of slowing down less air or ? I wish there was a better way of measuring losses or efficiency. As you know, you can have well cooled cylinders, and a tremendous amount of waste air slowed down (slowing the plane down)

Have you done any baffle work with the 310?

Eric

I think there were two reasons on the Aztec. First was that the air was actually getting directed properly, second the engine was no longer operating at thermonuclear temperatures. I did that work before I installed my engine monitor, but I remember Jim and I had a discussion on Aztec CHTs that year at Osh. He suggested mine were probably pretty high, and truthfully I think they were above redline in retrospect.

On the 310 the baffles weren’t bad when we got the plane. I redid them with the new engines. I do think it made a minor improvement – maybe about 5-10 degrees during the hottest point in climb on my JPI. My next planned improvement is 310R/340/414 top cowls with the louvers. I think that will help bring the CHTs where I want them.

Hello again Boys and Girls…….

Took the 310 in for the “Flutter” issue. Not too bad. The actuator rod end is loose and the actuator itself has just a little play that can probably be fixed with a good cleaning and re-packing with grease.

The trim tab hinge has just a tiny bit of wear that will be corrected at the next annual as it will require a bit of paint after repairs are complete. Don’t like ugly paint!!

Just waiting for fall……the heat continues in Texas.

Fly Safe everyone..

Good catch Capt Jack – thanks for the follow up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.