421C Rudder lock–Towing plane with rudder lock engaged

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues 421C Rudder lock–Towing plane with rudder lock engaged

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We have a 1981 421C. Is there a rudder lock disconnect interconnected to the nose wheel steering? In other words, is there a disconnect if the plane is towed and the nose wheel is turned? I’ve heard mixed stories on this and I couldn’t find a thread with answers. (I know it disconnects with elevator movement).

sthibault1
    Participant

The external rudder gust lock can only be released, or disconnected, by moving the lever on the tail or by raising the elevator. POH says the gust locks should be removed/disconnected prior to towing.
      Safe flying,
      Steve Thibault

I generally engage the rudder lock whenever I leave the airplane outside and let it get towed with it.

This question was asked in a seminar a while back and I recall Tony saying that he never remembered a case where the plane was damaged by towing with the gust lock on, but there were lots of cases of the big rudder being damaged due to the wind kicking it around.

Robert

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.