340 Nose wheel fender

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues 340 Nose wheel fender

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Wondering why some have the fender installed and others do not. Was it standard equipment?
    What are the pros and cons of having it?

The advantage is to keep dirt/debris from being thrown up and into the air/air heat exchanger on the belly of the 340.

The disadvantage is the possibility of it catching a gear door on the way up and jambing up.

I have flown my plane with and without the fender. My shop recommended me keeping it on.

I had a nose tire go flat and when I landed and my fender was all bent out of shape as the result. A member here was kind enough to give me one that he had in his hanger. So, I have one again.

There is the cool factor too, I like the look of the fendered nose wheel.

Hope that helps some.

Jim

You have to watch line service with claw tugs. They will ruin the fender. Always take a look during preflight.

Anyone know if there have been many incidents with jamming the nose gear doors?

On the jaming doors…..I dont know of an instance; I learned this from Tony Saxon at a TTCF seminar. He also talked about the control arms on the nose wheel steering breaking (where the cables attach) and of course this would jam the nose gear into the doors if the nose wheel is not centered up. There is a “beefed up” control arm available to minimize this possiblity.

During a break, most 310 and 340 owners went for a stroll to look at the control arms. I had the standard unit, I replaced it with the beefed up one many years ago. One guy took his fender off too before leaving DFI.

Next time you watch your gear go when on jacks, you will see there is not much clearance as the wheel goes by the doors. I think the fender would need really be obviously bent before it could catch a door. I do look at mine during pre-flights and give it a tug. They can crack/break the tubes and I dont think it would be very noticeble on a walk by.

I just spent a lot of time on the floor during my annual looking over and rigging the gear. Whoever desinged this must have been on brain steroids. There are rods that are pushing, then pulling, and then pushing, doors opening closing and a flury of motion of many parts.

Jim

I have some old damage on my fender. Possibly sustained when the gear was retracted with the nose gear off center. Because the nose gear steering cable support pulley on one side had been partially torn loose from the airframe support. I think…

Nose gear steering “abuse” might have done it. I.E., hard, tight turns with differential thrust, high-speed turns, etc. Some previous owner may know.

FWIW 🙂

ps I like the fender, keeps a lot of dirt out of the gear well.

Thanks for the replies, just dropped off my 340 at Tejas for paint and interior. I’ve only made a couple of trips in it since I purchased in December. It went to RAM for the series 7 in January. So far I really love the plane. Cannot wait to put some more hrs on her.

You’ll like the RAM upgrade. A friend of mine did what amounts to that upgrade on his T310R. It’s a world of difference, and having flown the plane it makes it a real hotrod.

Tejas does the best paint work around…hands down. They are expensive, but you won’t be disappointed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.