340 Front Windshield

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics 340 Front Windshield

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dstefko
    Participant

Good Morning,

I have been looking to upgrade to a Cessna 340 and have looked at several airplanes. One in particular has alot going for it with the exception of the front glass. Very poor condition and would need to be replaced. I wonder if anyone has experience with this particular airplane in replacing the windshield?

I replaced the front glass in my 310 about 8 years ago at a cost of about $1,200 total. With pressuization I can imagine the cost to be much more. Any ideas of what might be close in cost would be a help while I am looking.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The pilot side heated glass window in a 421C is ~ 20,000 and install is about 100 hrs as I understand it. Is the 340 single piece? heated? glass? The non, heated, plexiglass co-pilot window is about 7,000 + 100 hrs labor.

For some plexiglass windows it is possible to restore from scratches, hazing, etc. It is also possible to totally wreck it.

I would suggest if the plane matches otherwise just work some fraction of the window price into the final deal.

FYI for the 421C pilots, I think Tom’s in long beach has a serviceable 421C glass window advertised for 14k.

dstefko
      Participant

Ok, I want to say no surprise there but, wow. The glass is non heated and uses alcohol for de-ice. Really dont think restoration is possible and for sure both sides need to be done.

Your input is very helpful, thank you!

Dave

Dave –

The window in the 340 is totally different than the 421. The $20k price Eric quoted is for the heated windshield with the internal heating elements. It’s an expensive beast (I had to replace mine when I purchased the plane!).

The 340 window shouldn’t cost anywhere near that much! While I don’t know the price, I know it’s not going to be $20k.

Call a mechanic and get a quick price quote before you totally disregard this airplane.

Robert

Gentlemen,

Changing any 300/400 series windshield is surgery. Regardless of 340 414 or 421 it requires removal of most of the panel and instruments to gain access to the locknuts around the circumference. I think the last one I did was 40 hours labor. There are other considerations, the insulating grommets that go on each screw to prevent stress from expansion/contraction during temperature/pressure changes. There is an inspection required for existing installs, the early ones deteriorate and it is possible to impart stress as a result. The windshield goes for 7500-14000 depending on where you can find one!

Another option is to resurface, this is APPROVED by certain facilities and it costs only 1000-3000 but there are thickness limitations that may not make this a viable path. Hope this helps, good luck!

Peter Danto

quote dstefko:

Good Morning,

I have been looking to upgrade to a Cessna 340 and have looked at several airplanes. One in particular has alot going for it with the exception of the front glass. Very poor condition and would need to be replaced. I wonder if anyone has experience with this particular airplane in replacing the windshield?

I replaced the front glass in my 310 about 8 years ago at a cost of about $1,200 total. With pressuization I can imagine the cost to be much more. Any ideas of what might be close in cost would be a help while I am looking.

Dave

You might call these guys… pg 68 of their products catalog shows 340 windshields:

http://www.lpaero.com/products.html

Peter is correct. The windshield replacement is major surgery. I recommend that you do 2 things. 1. Find a twin Cessna shop that has installed a bunch of them, and 2. Do both windshields. I made the mistake of just doing the pilots side on my old 414. It wasn’t long before I wanted the the co-pilots side done. The labor is so extensive that you should do them both when they have the panel torn apart. If I remember correctly each windshield cost around 3-4k. BTW, the glass heated windshield on the 421 that cost around 20k is for the pilots side only, ouch!

It is been my experience that replacing both at the same time does not add dramatically to the overall labor cost. If you do one do them both.

Looks like LP Aero windshields sell for $3159.00 each, then add labor to install. As has been pointed out, don’t discount a prospect because of a windshield issue.

Happy hunting.

rwelsh
        Participant

Lp Aero seems to be the only one that has the 340 windshields. As said before about $3100 each. Tom’s Aircraft of Long Beach quoted around $12K to do both. It takes about 50 hours of labor assuming you have done it before. Then there is also the possibility of cracking one or both of the windows during installation. Most shops won’t eat the cost and you have to wait another two to four weeks for a replacement window. The windows have a lot of stress because of the heating and forming necessary to get the curves around the wing root area of the windows so some shops put in the contract that they will not eat the cost of replacing a window that cracks.

dstefko
          Participant

All,
            Your input has been invaluable to me. Thank you and thanks to TTCF for being there.

Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.