Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

My brakes won’t hold the plane at full power (1981 RAM VI 340.) I can get to about 33-34″, and then they start to slip. I do have the Cleveland brake STC.

I also feel like they’re not the greatest at stopping, but this is my first 6,000lb plane. I don’t have much to compare against.

Are they working as well as they can?

Sounds exactly like mine.

It’s a lot of power. My 310 brakes can’t hold the Colemill conversion at full power, either. It’s not like on some Part 25 aircraft where the brakes need to be able to stop the plane at max gross and full power.

Sounds correct to me. Even brand new pads have a hard time holding our 340 at full chat, and we dont even have RAMs. For short field stuff, we usually bring it up to 1700 rpm held, check Ps and Ts, no smoke, then bring it up to full power. Once the brakes start to slip, toes back and let her go while we feed in the last of the throttle.

rwelsh
    Participant

If you are not happy with the brakes Cessna gave you, then Cleveland as the answer for you for about 4 AUs. It is basically the same brakes as on the 421C–thicker discs and four sets of pucks versus three and different wheels.

Some generous soul already put the Cleveland 4-pucks on about 15 years ago. Sounds like I have nothing to chase here; I’ll spend my money on other gremlins.

rwelsh
      Participant

Have you thought to change the o’ring in the master cylinders in order to get more brake pressure? If the small o’ring is worn, too much, then brake pressure can slip by the o’ring.

When you look down on the pucks, does it look like the pucks are wearing evenly and parellel? If not, take the brake assembly off and clean everything with “Brake Cleaner”. Make sure the two pins are not too pitted and are smooth. It might even help to blow out the 4 pucks and replace the -222 o’rings. Be ready with a #4 hose plug fitting so you don’t lose any fluid and get air in the line.

quote RWELSH:

When you look down on the pucks, does it look like the pucks are wearing evenly and parellel? If not, take the brake assembly off and clean everything with “Brake Cleaner”. Make sure the two pins are not too pitted and are smooth. It might even help to blow out the 4 pucks and replace the -222 o’rings. Be ready with a #4 hose plug fitting so you don’t lose any fluid and get air in the line.

Dick you need to start you-tubing this stuff for us.

Andrew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.